People worldwide have numerous good things to say about camphor oil and for good reasons. The nutritional value of camphor oil provides an abundance of health benefits while the soothing benefits tow along. In an ideal world, camphor oil has only benefits and no side effects; but in reality, it comes with its own limitations. Here is a detailed expansion of camphor oil side effects, which you should know before applying.
Overconsumption or over-utilization of any food product or materials can lead to health problems. This also applies to camphor oil. The utilisation of camphor oil in large amounts is always discouraged. When used or consumed in excess amounts, camphor oil can turn out to be dangerous and even fatal. Concentrating camphor oil can have narcotic effects on your body, leading to affected nerves and loss of control over your limbs. This suggests that the side effects of camphor oil can also extend to the brain's functioning. It is always better to consult your doctor about the doses and concentrations if you are consuming camphor. If consumed in large doses, your body can show side effects such as:
- Muscle spams
- Abdominal cramps
Apart from this, you also experience a sudden loss of thirst and disorientation. You may additionally feel a burning sensation in your throat. Consuming two grams can lead to toxicity in your body, while doses of more than four grams can be fatal. Burning camphor oil also oozes an odour, which can get a person addicted to it, leading to an addiction to camphor oil consumption. Moreover, undiluted camphor oil can be harmful and should be avoided at all costs. Among the range of camphor oils, you should never consume yellow, blue and brown camphor oil due to their high toxicity. These oils contain chemicals, speeding up the growth of cancer cells in your body.
What are some precautions to avoid side effects?
- Avoid using camphor oil on injured or broken skin as the compounds in camphor oil can cause side effects such as skin irritation and redness.
- Keep the camphor oil away from your eyes and make sure there’s no contact with them.
- Do not heat products that contain camphor oil. They can have adverse effects on your skin.
Who should avoid using camphor oil?
Your body can be vulnerable to the constituents of camphor oil. This is why it is better to know if you can utilise it without causing any harm to your body.
- Pregnant women and infants should not use camphor oil under any circumstances.
- Camphor can have adverse effects on patients with asthma and lung diseases. Hence, people having any respiratory issues should avoid camphor oil at all costs.
- People who have epilepsy or have a history of convulsions should not use camphor oil.
Choosing the right camphor oil, which is diluted and has no contaminants, is essential for your health. Mangalam offers pure camphor essential oil, free of harmful chemicals. Get yours today!