Camphor powder is one of the most commonly used home remedies in Indian homes. Ask your grandmother, and there’s a high chance she will tell you a list of things that can be done with this divine substance. But what is it, how is it made, and what are some of its common uses.
What is Camphor Powder?
Camphor powder is a white crystalline powder that is made out of an extract of the pine tree. It is known for its strong, pungent odour, white colour, and hundreds of uses! Do note that not all camphor powder you can buy in the market is organic—they may contain harmful chemicals that can be bad for your health. However, Mangalam camphor powder is 100% organic and completely safe to use!
How Is It Made?
In the past, camphor powder used to be made from the wood of the camphor laurel tree, also known as Cinnamomum camphora, native to India, Mongolia, Japan, and Taiwan. Nowadays, camphor powder is obtained from pine trees. Camphor (C10H16O) is made by first obtaining the bicyclic ketone that’s present in the wood of the pine tree through a meticulous process.
How to Check If It’s Safe and Organic?
It’s quite easy to check if the camphor powder you are using is organic and safe to use. Organic camphor burns completely without sparking or leaving any residue and it is white in colour, not yellowish or brownish.
Camphor Powder Uses
Camphor has hundreds of uses, and it would take an entire night to go through them. However, here are some of the best uses our customers have benefited from our 100% organic camphor powder.:
- It can act as a catalyst to balance the kapha and pitta doshas
- It can cure respiratory disorders like asthma, cold, cough, etc.
- It can treat oral disorders like mouth ulcers, sore throat, toothache, and bad breath
- It acts as a digestive, curing pitta dosha
- It may increase sexual performance and can even cure erectile dysfunction
- It treats skin irritation, mild burns, acne, and other skin-related issues
- It purifies the surrounding air and mitigates negative energies and spirits